This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Thursday 13 June 2019

Being radiant: a rant.

Brides are said to be radiant (though the unkind have been known to claim they're merely flushed with victory).

Saints are also said to have a nice line in radiance, but I can't think of any other examples. This isn't surprising, because radiant means shining (though only in a good way. Shiny noses and bald patches, sadly, don't count).

Still, hope springs eternal in the human breast, and so when I received a Lands' End catalogue and saw something described as radiant I was intrigued.

Well, I was until I saw it what it was describing.

Was it a halo with built-in solar-powered fairy lights?

Nope. 

It was a bucket hat in a fabric Lands' End describes as radiant navy.

Radiant navy?

Navy. As in, dark blue.

Radiant?

Ah well. 

I suppose at the worst the thing would at least cover up a bit of my face.

Word To Use Today: radiant. This word comes from the Latin radiāre to shine, from radius, ray of light.

The Latin word radius also means spoke, which is where the geometrical term came in.




No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.