This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Tuesday 7 April 2020

Thing To Do Today: latibulate.

The word latibulate has been brought to my attention by my very fine agent Elizabeth Roy.

It forms one of the English language's many irregular verbs. You know the sort of thing: 

I have an independent mind
You are eccentric
He is round the twist. 

This one goes 

I am behaving responsibly
You are latibulating
He is a coward

To latibulate, for those who don't know (which is surely more or less all of us) means to hide away in a corner.

Well, at least now we can all do it with dignity, can't we.

Word To Use Today: latibulate. This word appeared in 1623 and until recently it was hardly ever seen again. It comes from the Latin latibulum, from latēre, to be hidden.


2 comments:

  1. I am latibulating in my latibule.

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you, Megan. I hope it's cozy. You are helping all the people of the world!

      Delete

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.