This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Thursday 2 July 2020

Good news is no news: a rant.

Look, I know they say that good news is no news, but they're wrong, okay?

Have a ten thousand pound bonus!

Mother and child both well!

We've won the cup!

See? None of those is bad news, but it's something to shout about* all the same.

But the media will look on the gloomiest side. It's become a habit with them. I've long told myself that they can twist any story into an outrage or a tragedy, but this headline, in the Telegraph newspaper on line on 18/06/2020, took the biscuit:

Doctors warn of organ shortage as lockdown cuts fatal accidents and violent crime

Still, it was one of the few items in the week's news that actually made me laugh.

Word To Use Today: crime. The Latin word crīmen means accusation, verdict or crime...which makes me glad I'm not likely to be up in front of an Ancient Roman court.

*Well, except that shouting in public is now illegal in England, I think, because it tends to spread germs. Ah well!





No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.