This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Tuesday 22 February 2011

Thing to do today - laugh.

'Last night I dreamt I was eating an enormous marshmallow, and when I woke up the pillow was gone.'

When people are asked what sort of animal would you like to be? they often say a cat.
Not me, though, because cats don't laugh.

'A man went into the doctors with a blob of custard in one ear and some jelly in the other. "You'll have to speak up," he said, "I'm a trifle deaf." '

There have been times when people didn't laugh, either. In the 1700s Lord Chesterfield (I think it was Lord C, but I can't find the exact quote) boasted of never having laughed since he reached the age of reason.
What an idiot!

'Two fish in a tank, one says to the other "I'll drive and you man the guns." '

Thank goodness the fashion for not-laughing changed!

Laugh: this word...hang on, pages 920 - 924 are missing from my brand new dictionary! Curses! Hang on, I'll go and find another one...
...here we are. Laugh: from the Old English hlghhan (try saying that with a straight face), originally from the Greek plōssein, to cluck.

Hm. Well, I suppose if you can't think of anything else to laugh at, you could try doing an impression of a hen laying an egg...

The jokes were originally by the very great Mr Tommy Cooper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.