This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Monday 7 March 2011

Spot the frippet: ketchup.

Lovely stuff, ketchup.

There are various flavours but of course tomato is the best.

Why oh why, though, do they sell the stuff in bottles?
(I speak as someone whose husband once shook a badly capped ketchup bottle and managed to get the stuff on all four walls and the ceiling of a room.)


A ketchup jar. That's what we should have. Then you could scoop the stuff out with a spoon. (I know about squeezy bottles, but I can't cope with wormcasts on my plate.) 

Should I start a campaign?

Ketchup: this looks like a Germanic word, so I was surprised to discover that it's actually Amoy (which is the variety of Chinese spoken in and near Taiwan). Kōetsiap means a brine of pickled fish, and that word is made up of kōe, seafood and tsiap, sauce.

*Or catsup if you want to look old-fashioned and, quite frankly, perverse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.