This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Sunday 11 September 2011

Sunday Rest: Word Not To Use Today: catarrh.

This word sounds like the first blast of the last trump.

Catarrh!

The wretched word is also very nearly impossible to spell.

Yes, yes, all right, I've got a rotten cold. I'm going to go and get myself a hot honey and lemon in a minute. 

Before I do I'll just mention that catarrhine means having your nostrils set close together and opening to the front of the face, like some monkeys.

And that catarrh is also a really stupid place to hold a Soccer World Cup*.

Word Not To Use Today: catarrh. This is from the two Greek words kata, which means down, and rhein, to flow.

Lovely.

*I know, I know! Sorry. Qatar. But it is, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.