This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Saturday 30 March 2013

Saturday Rave: The Princess and the Pea.

Of course I was a princess.

The distinct lack of a palace, royal relatives and sticky-out dresses...well, it just made my position all the more romantic, that's all.

So all I had to do to prove my royal birth was to get hold of about fifteen mattresses...

The Princess and the Pea
The Princess and the Pea - Credit: Tomasz Sienicki


...well, perhaps one would do. I had one.

Then I just had to put a pea underneath the mattress...

...unfortunately my mattress proved to lay upon wire mesh. A pea would fall through that.

Okay then, if I put my pea on a book before I put it under my mattress then...

...the real problem was that I'd only ever comes across fresh peas. Which, (because I was quite a hefty child) would obviously immediately get squashed.

Ah well. I would prove my sensitive royalty in other ways, like crying bitterly whenever I saw something dead.

Because of course I was a princess...

Word To Use Today: pea. This word used to be pease, but it got shortened because everyone thought it was a plural. Pease comes from the Old English peose, from the Latin pisa, which is a plural (of pisum) from the Greek pison.

1 comment:

  1. I love this story! Don't really know why...I think one is meant to think the Princess was too fussy for her own good but I admire anyone who can feel a pea through 15 mattresses. Or even one!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.