This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Thursday 6 June 2013

When wasn't isn't: a rant.

So why does I can't help wondering if it wasn't an accident nearly always means I can't help wondering if it was an accident?

Well, don't just sit there: tell me!

What?

You mean you don't know either?

Ah well...

...it may be illogical, but I suppose we manage, on the whole.

Word To Use Today: was. It may seem a bit unreasonable that the past tense of is turns out to be was, but actually was is the one that's been most consistent. It comes from the Old English wesan, to be.

2 comments:

  1. That was a bit unnecessary, wasn't it? Perhaps it wasn't, but I can't help wondering if 'was' wasn't 'wasn't' too if it might not be a little confusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm wondering if it might not be a good thing that logic is occasionally irrelevant!

      Delete

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.