This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Thursday 8 August 2013

The Future's Future: a rant.

Appointments, tickets for concerts, plays and exhibitions: nowadays they all have to be pre-booked.

File:Michigan Theater Tickets.jpg
Photo by Andypiper.

The prefix pre (from the Latin prae, before) implies that I must do the pre-booking before the event in question.

Well, that's the only sensible - and, indeed, possible - way of doing it.

But what I want to know is, what in the name of Hades is plain booking supposed to do???

Word To Use Today: future. This word comes from the Latin fūtūrus, which means about to be, from esse, to be.

Hm, fūtūrus - esse. That's not that convincing, is it?



2 comments:

  1. What really annoys me is when booking is required (or pre-booking, if you will), and the price is advertised as £18 + £2 booking fee. I mean, why not just say "Booking required - Tickets £20". What is that all about? Eh? Tell me. Can you? Can anyone? No. They can't. And I wouldn't listen anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Ed, I think it might be...

      ...ah.

      There's no point in me typing this, is there.

      Bless you, anyway.

      Delete

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.