This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Sunday 22 December 2013

Sunday Rest: dancical.

This word should have been strangled at birth. Actually, it should have been strangled slightly before birth. Unfortunately it's made it into the Collins dictionary to cause pangs of revulsion and generalised despair.

I'm afraid dancical means what it appears to mean. You say it DANCE-i-CL, and it's defined by Collins, with magnificent hauteur, as 'a type of dance show in which choreographed performers dance to pop songs.'

My impulse is to say heaven preserve me from them. But actually I've never seen one, so perhaps dancicals can be brilliant.

I suppose (deep breath) I suppose I'm willing to give one a try if anyone knows of a really terrific one.

But calling it a dancical...

File:Carmen dancing.jpg

Word Not To Use Today: dancical. This word is a mixture of dance and musical. It makes me want to scream.

2 comments:

  1. I have to be honest, I've never heard the word before, and upon seeing it here, I laughed!
    It would work ok with those crazy dancing puppets maybe?
    Otherwise, it's a word for the garbage bin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as it took place in a Roman arena, where the exit's marked vomitorium, I might be able to cope.

      Delete

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.