This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Thursday 30 January 2014

Having a bash: a rant.

Someone phoned us the other day and asked for our account details.

They claimed to be from our bank.

But you already know our bank details, I pointed out, cunningly.

Anyway, in the end we arranged to phone them back. They gave me a reference number and told us to ask for the Fraud Department.

The Fraud Department???

Good grief.

I mean, I know that banks are in business to make money from their poor customers by any means is available, but a Fraud Department? The HSBC have a dedicated Fraud Department?

That's a bit blatant even for a flipping bank, isn't it?

Word To Use Today: fraud. This word comes from the Latin fraus, which means deception.

PS It was all right, there was no fraud at all, the bank had just taken fright at our trying to make a payment to Millwall FC.

Millwall FC

A fine example, I would say, of the pot calling the kettle black.
 

2 comments:

  1. Ugh! Fraud!
    There are so many types of fraud now, it makes my head spin!
    Insurance fraud. Tax fraud. Bank fraud. Identity fraud. Credit card fraud....and on, and on, and on.
    Glad yours turned out to be nothing.
    Makes you want to get away to an island in the middle of nowhere, far from the madding crowd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Jingles, though I must admit that being able to wave a bit of plastic at a problem is a great help at times.
      Still, I might see if I can find a bank with an ANTI-fraud dept.

      Delete

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.