This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Friday 22 August 2014

Word To Use Today: kintsukuroi

In a much-too-often broken, unhappy, quarrelsome and violent world, I bring you a word of hope.

Kintsukuroi.

Kintsukuroi means to mend a piece of pottery with gold, silver or platinum lacquer so that in the end its visible history becomes a thing of hope and beauty.


Gold? you may say. I have no gold.

But the gold needed to mend most broken things is available to everyone.

Isn't it.

Word To Use Today: kintsukuroi. Kintsukuroi is Japanese and means golden repair.

2 comments:

  1. I do know this word and this concept and I can't tell you how I LOVE the whole idea of it. Of making the flaw part of the beauty...marvellous and it's a beautiful word that I'll try and remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certainly keen to make my own flaws as beautiful as they can possibly be, Adele.

      Delete

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.