This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Thursday 18 August 2016

Random Words: a rant.

I love words. I cherish every single one of them, even the horrible ones like Anaglypta...well, all right, I don't exactly cherish it, but I can see that it has its uses.

Words form an exquisite web of meaning which illuminates the world...

...at least, that was my impression.

This is a quote from Jennifer Grey, the star of Dirty Dancing, on why she doesn't want to appear in the new version of the film:

'I was flattered because I always want to be asked because it's nice to be included. But for me, it would be sacrosanct for me to do it because it didn't feel appropriate for me.'

My problem isn't that the word sacrosanct is used in a non-standard way: Ms Grey isn't a professional orator, and of course no one understands even half the words of a language anyway.

My problem - my real problem - is that I know exactly what she means, anyway.

And it's, like, totally aardvarking, I can tell you.

File:Aardvark (PSF).jpg
Ilustration from Pearson Scott Foresman

Word To Use Today: sacrosanct. This word usually means very sacred or holy. It comes from the Latin sacrōsanctus, made holy by sacred rite, from sacrō, rite, from sacer holy, plus sancīre, to hallow.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.