This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Thursday 24 August 2017

An explosion of..something or other.

I saw a headline in an online newspaper the other day:

The UK's digital economy. It's about to explode

it said.

I wish I'd read the article, now, because I still don't know whether that's a good thing or not.

In the Guardian headline of 14 April 2015:

 'Timebomb' UK economy will explode after election 

it's a bad thing. But in the Washington Post of 28 June 2017: 

The app economy is about to explode 

it's a jolly good one.

Ah well. I can't find that headline on Google, so I suppose I'll never know.

Still, I haven't heard any loud bangs, recently, so I expect it's all rot, anyway.

Word To Use Carefully Today: explode. This word comes from the Latin explōdere, to drive off by clapping or hissing [an actor on the stage], from plaudere, to clap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.