This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Saturday 6 June 2020

Saturday Rave: Infant Joy, by William Blake.

William Blake here gives us a short poem about something uncomplicated, yet at the same time tremendously powerful and important.

I have no name
I am but two days old. -
What shall I call thee?
I happy am
Joy is my name,-
Sweet joy befall thee!

Pretty joy!
Sweet joy but two days old,
Sweet joy I call thee;
Thou dost smile.
I sing the while
Sweet joy befall thee.

***

Sweet joy befall thee...

Word To Use Today: joy. This word comes from the Old French joie, from the Latin word gaudēre, to be glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.