This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Sunday 22 November 2020

Sunday Rest: awsomesauce.

 I haven't come across this word myself, except online, but apparently some people (especially in America) are using the word awesomesauce.

It's a truly horrible conglomeration, exquisitely painful to anyone with any sensibilities at all.

I mean, I'm only just beginning to avoid wincing when people day awesome.

Stop it. Stop it!

Please?

Sunday Rest: awesomesauce. I do not really know exactly what this word means. I assume it's something like excellent, but doubt it's ever applied to anything which does truly excel.

Adequate considering you're not very experienced or particularly gifted is probably nearer the mark.

The word awe comes ultimately from the Greek word akhesthai, which means to be grieved. 

The word sauce is to do with the word salt.





No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.