This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Friday 29 January 2021

Word To Use Today: propinquity.

 Propinquity is, sadly, a word much too pompous for everyday use. 

This is a real pity because it sounds so nice - like jacks tumbling across a table:



Propinquity means close in space or time, or sometimes close in relationship. A lot of work has been done studying propinquity with regards to making friends and finding partners. The basic idea is that you have relationships with people who are close to you either physically, or perhaps through a job or shared interest.

Still, propinquity...it falls lightly and neatly from the lips, and I wish we could use it without looking self-important.

But even Shakespeare didn't manage to do that:

Here I disclaim all my paternal care,

Propinquity, and property of blood,

And as a stranger to my heart and me

Hold thee from this for ever.

(Poor old King Lear. Not end well? That didn't even begin well!)

I suppose a certain amount of amusement may be had by telling oneself that one has left one's car keys in propinquity to the fruit bowl. 

But I shouldn't say it out loud, if I were you. 

Word To Use Today: propinquity.  The word propinquity comes from the Latin word propinquus, which can mean either near or akin.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.