This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Thursday 2 August 2012

Women's Ears - a rant.

Oh, I'm all for women's rights really.

Of course I am.

Who'd go back to the old days when men opened doors for us, and gave up their seats on the train, and treated us with careful gentleness in case we disintegrated into tears or hysterics?

Days when men had rules about what you could talk about in mixed company. So we never heard any swearing. Or anything to do with football...

...sigh.

Oh, but I'm all for equality and rights.

I really am.

Except...

...do you know that when the Olympic Games were first held in Greece, women were forbidden to watch or listen on pain of death?


You know, I just can't help but be a bit nostalgic, sometimes.

Word To Use Today: boredom. This word means the state of being bored, of course. It appeared in English in the 1700s, but no one's ever been interested enough in it to find out where it came from.

1 comment:

  1. Not often I disagree wtih the Venerable Word Den but on this I do! Loved the Olympics and wasn't bored at all. Secret is: only watch the bits you like!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.