This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Friday, 22 August 2014

Word To Use Today: kintsukuroi

In a much-too-often broken, unhappy, quarrelsome and violent world, I bring you a word of hope.

Kintsukuroi.

Kintsukuroi means to mend a piece of pottery with gold, silver or platinum lacquer so that in the end its visible history becomes a thing of hope and beauty.


Gold? you may say. I have no gold.

But the gold needed to mend most broken things is available to everyone.

Isn't it.

Word To Use Today: kintsukuroi. Kintsukuroi is Japanese and means golden repair.

2 comments:

  1. I do know this word and this concept and I can't tell you how I LOVE the whole idea of it. Of making the flaw part of the beauty...marvellous and it's a beautiful word that I'll try and remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certainly keen to make my own flaws as beautiful as they can possibly be, Adele.

      Delete