This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Friday 16 February 2018

Word To Use Today: pukka..

Here's a word that's come down in the world, and almost half-way round it, too.

Pukka is an Indian word that means properly done, or perfect.

But when the English language appropriated pukka, in the 1600s, it was used to mean genuine, or of good quality, or correct, or authentic. Until quite recently it was commonly used only by people who'd lived in British Colonial India, or their descendants, so it was most definitely a word of the ruling classes. 

And then at the turn of the millennium a cook called Jamie Oliver, in the guise of a chirpy East Londoner, started using the word pukka on TV and it rapidly lost whatever cachet it had, and became, briefly, a word used by hip people who were also pretending to be chirpy East Londoners.

All of which means I've never really been able to use the word pukka without wincing.

But, hey, it's a perfectly good word, and am I going to be allow myself to be embarrassed into avoiding it?

Erm...

...

Couldn't I just say genuine? Or good-quality

Authentic?

No?

All right, perhaps I'll try, then.

Pukka...

...I suppose anonymously, on a message-board, wouldn't count...?

Word To Use Today: pukka. This word comes from the Hindi pakkā, firm, from the Sanskrit pakva.




2 comments:

  1. Good day I am so happy I found your website, I really found you
    by error, while I was researching on Digg for something else, Anyways I
    am here now and would just like to say many thanks for a marvelous post and a all round
    interesting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to read it
    all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back
    to read much more, Please do keep up the superb work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon (your comment above looks as if it's from me, but that's because of a bit of trouble I've been having with the COMMENTS function). Thanks very much for your comment. I'm glad you liked the post. The Word Den recently forgot to celebrate its seventh birthday and there's been a post a day all that time, so that's over 2500 posts - a lot to read in one go! Hope you'll be back from time to time to see what's going on - you really are very welcome!

      Delete

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.