This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Sunday 10 November 2019

Sunday Rest: lucubration. Word Not To Use Today.

I don't actually know what lucubration means, but it sounds oily, pompous, and insincere.

Hang on, I'll look it up in my Collins dictionary...

...here we are: lucubration

1. laborious study, esp. at night. 2. a solemn literary work.

Good grief, it's even worse than I thought. 

Still, my instincts led me in the right general direction. Any use of the word lucubration will certainly be pompous, and any substantial work which is solemn is almost always insincere because honest thought can seldom ignore the ridiculousness of existence.

Anyway, it's definitely a word for the rubbish-dump. Apart from anything else, I must inform all clever young men, who must be the most likely people to use the wretched word, that it registers exactly minus nineteen point five on the attract-a-mate scale.

And that's out of twenty.

Sunday Rest: lucubration. This word comes from the Latin lūcubrāre, to work by lamp light.






No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.