This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Thursday 2 June 2022

A moth by any other name: a rant.

 I can see why the Entomological Society of America might want to rename the Gypsy Moth, an insect which famously wanders the globe looking for crops upon which to feed its voracious young.

I think they're probably wrong to worry, as it happens, but I can see where they're coming from. Joe Rominiecki from the ESA says he has had what he calls a cultural awakening and feels the name is offensive.

I don't really think this renaming matters very much (though the new name, the Spongy Moth is beyond useless, being a description of the way the insect's eggs are laid, which almost no one is ever going to know about, let alone see).

What really worries me is that next we'll be cancelling Amy Johnson for flying a Gypsy Moth plane.

By User Dabbler on en.wikipedia - "Original photograph taken by my grandfather, image scanned and edited by me, Dabbler.", CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1096633

Word To Use Today: gypsy. This word is a form of Egyptian, though the original gypsy people are thought to have come from India.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.