This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Thursday 24 December 2015

Well-earned money: a rant.

'No one in the world, so far as I know - and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me - has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of plain people.'

Still, never mind, eh?

Having said that (as H L Mencken did) there are times when someone makes so much money from a combination of words so deeply utterly fatuous and wrong that I can't help getting a bit twitchy. 

Especially when I can't get away from them because they're being bellowed at me from a supermarket's public address system.

And now I've discovered the spelling mistake...

...deep breath...

I wish it could be Christmas Everyday (sic).

The song is by Roy Wood, whose stuff is quite often good fun. 



But just the thought of Christmas Everyday...it's enough to give me nightmares.

And, just possibly, a dystopian best-seller.

Word To Use Today: wizard. As well as meaning magician, this word means brilliant! It has two z s, Wizzard, only when it's the British glam rock band led by Roy Wood. The word wizard is to do with being wise.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.