This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Thursday 10 September 2020

The trouble with goats: a rant.

I had an email from Boots the Chemist the other day. The title window said:

Need a hand rebooting your goats?

I must admit I was somewhat taken aback. I have no goats. Not only that, but I had no idea they needed to be provided with footwear on a regular basis.

Then I read it again, and found that it actually said:

Need a hand rebooting your goals?

Well, I suppose I do have goals. 

But on the whole the headline made more sense the first time.

Word To Use Today: goal. This word might be connected with the Middle English word gol, which means boundary. There's an Old English word gǣlan, too, which means to hinder or impede, which might have something to do with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.