This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Sunday 19 December 2021

Sunday Rest: pophit.

 When I first came across the word pophit in a newspaper I thought it was a mistyping of either profit or prophet.

What is it? I'll give you a clue. I came across the word in an obituary of the rather wonderful Mike Nesmith:

At a Monkees convention in 1966

Yep, it was actually a pop-hit.

That punctuation stuff isn't just there to make people feel inadequate, you know. It's to make writing work.

Pophit, indeed!

Sunday Rest: pophit. Pop is short for popular, from the Latin populus, people. The word hit was hittan in Old English.

Hey, I do wish there were videos available of Anglo-Saxon dancing.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.