This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Sunday 23 June 2013

Sunday Rest. Word Not To Use Today: faucet.

The trouble with the word faucet is that it goes on for far far too long.

It's the or-i vowel combination. It takes ages to turn the corner, as it were - and when you manage it all it does is make you sound like a backward donkey.

In England, a faucet is the contraption to let liquid out of a barrel, but in North America I understand that there are faucets all over the place - in fact, more or less everywhere that we in the Old World have taps.

File:Brass water tap.jpg
Photo Anita Martinz from Klagenfurt, Austria

I realise that it would be unreasonably difficult to avoid referring to these appliances altogether; but perhaps an effort might be made to keep the dratted word as brief as possible.

It's fun practising, anyway.

Faucet.

Faucet.

Faucet...

Sunday Rest. Word Not To Use Today: faucet. This word comes from the Old French fausset, from the Provençal falset, from falsar, to bore.

Well, that's no surprise. The word goes on for so long that's exactly what it does.
 


6 comments:

  1. You hate all the words I like!

    Well ... sometimes.

    I like faucet, even though I don't use it. In Spanish it's 'grifo' (pronounced gree-foe). Is that any better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grifo is fine except for not sounding at all wet or drippy.

      I'm glad you like faucet, Ed. I'd hate to think the poor thing was universally loathed.

      Delete
  2. Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome! https://www.kitchenfaucetguides.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. touchless kitchen faucet

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, Saad. Have fun with your taps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks very much, Messy. Peak is an interesting word. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.