This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Sunday 27 October 2013

Sunday Rest: plantigrade. Word Not To Use Today.

So just who are you calling a plantigrade, huh?

You trying to tell me that my grades are lower than a potato's?

That I'm a turnip-head or something?

That my intellectual attainments are...

...what?

Oh.

Well, hey, that's what it sounded like.

So. You're saying that a plantigrade is just a sort of animal that walks with its whole foot on the ground, like a skunk or a rat -

- hey, just a flipping minute, who do you think you're comparing to a skunk or a rat -

 - or a bear. I see.

Or a human being.

Oh.

So...it's nothing to do with plants, then. Or grades.

Well.

Well, I suppose I'll have to let you off, this time.

But just don't do it again, okay?

Word Not To Use Today: plantigrade. This word comes from the Latin words planta, the sole of the foot, and gradus, which means a step.

2 comments:

  1. The definitions of some words really are disappointing aren't they!
    Plant a grade on me ma'am! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Jingles. AND the nasty cumbersome thing makes us sound flat-footed.

      Delete

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.