This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Sunday 30 August 2020

Sunday Rest: Boomer. Word Not To Use Today.

 May I just point out that boom, as it the term baby-boom, refers to the number of babies born after the natural lull during the second world war, and not to the state of the economy?

I wish to make this clear because I myself am a baby-boomer and I can't say I noticed living off the fat of the land. Even the nostalgic glow of a distant childhood has done little to prettify a life lived without central heating, quilted coats, double-glazing, trainers, the internet, nice cheese, a telephone in the house, concerts, theatre, a car, a fridge, foreign holidays, aubergines, a university education, and pain relief at the dentist.

And before anyone starts whingeing, my husband and I had each to save a whole year's salary before we got together a deposit for half a house.

So can the self-pity and the contempt, okay?

OK Boomer, indeed.

Sunday Rest: boomer. This word might come from the Dutch word bommen, which is basically the sound made when someone booms. People who boom tend to be out-going and full of energy, and this seems to be how it came to be a word for a period of high activity.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.