This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Thursday 6 August 2020

Taxing tax: a rant.

Fill in your tax form online, it said. It's quicker and easier.

Well, I'm not a complete fool: I ignored them for a decade or so, but then this year I decided the poor Government has enough to do and so I did decide to move online.

How long does the paper form take to fill in? 

About forty five minutes, including finding a stamp.

Online form?

Well, I started two weeks ago and spent four hours on it yesterday alone.

Still, it's all done, now. And, on the plus side, I've kept some tax-form people in jobs. But, good grief...

If you ask a question which begins If you were born before 1935...

then you can't require a YES/NO answer.

That's not tax law, that's logic. 

Or, as it used to be known, sense.

Hwoof!

And I bet these tax-people get paid ten times more than children's writers do.

Ah well.

At least my job makes people happy.

Word To Use Today: tax. This word comes from the Old French taxer, and before that from the Latin tangere, to touch.





No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.