This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Friday 11 October 2013

Word To Use Today: squirrelfish.

So a squirrelfish is a fish, but why is it a squirrelfish? Does it have a bushy tail,?

Er...no.

So...does it have a serious nut habit, then?

No. Actually it -

- does it climb trees, look cute on Christmas cards, rob bird feeders?

Um. No, no, and no. Look, I don't think you're going to get this -

- don't tell me! Was it discovered by a Mr Squirrel?

Not -

Or did people squirrel them away, to eat in had times?

I really don't think -

Did a Mr Squirrel pay for the expedition that first found them?

Look, as a matter of fact -

 - do they look like squirrels?

No.

...taste like a squirrel?

Not as far as I know, no.

Oh all right, I give up, then.

All right, then. A squirrelfish is called a squirrelfish because it makes a noise like a squirrel.

It does what?

See? I knew you wouldn't get it.

File:Spotfin squirrelfish Neoniphon sammara (5800428816).jpg
spotfin squirrelfish. Photo by Paul Asman and Jill Lenoble.
Word To Use Today: squirrelfish. But you know the derivation of this one, don't you.





4 comments:

  1. Cor! I'm now imagining an ocean full of them merrily chirping away!
    Can you imagine!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I can, actually. But I'm hoping someone will write a concerto.

      Delete
    2. The rare Red Squirrelfish is alright, but the invasive Grey Squirrelfish is the rat of the sea.

      Delete
    3. Ah yes. Squirrels of the Caribbean: box office gold!

      Delete

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.