This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Sunday 5 July 2015

Sunday Rest: Greferendum. Word Not To Use Today.

The horrid words Grexit and Grexident have been around for some time, and now today, oh joy, we have a Greferendum.

It's a hideous word for a hideous situation. Will oxi* prove to be Scylla or Charybdis for the Greek people?


Painting by Henry Fuseli

I have no idea what is going to happen either way, and I don't believe anyone else does, either.

All I can say is, Heaven save Hellas.

Word Not To Use Today: Greferendum. This is a nasty mixture of Greek and referendum, and I suppose its coinage was inevitable. 

As far as I can see, though, it wasn't widely used before this last week.

*Oxi is the Greek for no. Yes is nai.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.