This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Saturday 12 September 2015

Saturday Rave: The Finest Epitaph. Anon.

File:Lichen on Tombstone, St. John's, Croxton - geograph.org.uk - 1618153.jpg
Photo by David Wright

In the churchyard of St Mary's Church, Apsley, in Hertfordshire England, there is, or used to be (last time I looked I couldn't find it, but I hope it's still there) a modest tombstone. I can't remember the name of the person commemorated, but I'm almost certain it's a woman. 

On this tombstone is engraved the finest possible epitaph to any life.

It reads, quite simply:


She done her best


Thing To Do Today: our best. The word best comes from the Old English betst.






No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.