This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Friday 22 October 2021

Word To Use Today: celery.

 I called my daughters Helena and Rosalind. They were both Shakespearean and also, I thought, timeless and lovely names for a pair of remarkable women. Which is what they have become.

But, I don't know...

...if I had my choice again I'm not sure I could find a lovelier name for a girl anywhere than celery.

illustration by Otto Wilhelm Thomé

Word To Use Today: celery. This word goes right back to the Greek word selinon, which means parsley.

Parsley is also a pretty name, but usually people who want to call a daughter after that herb stick with the Greek form and call her Selina.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.