This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Saturday 9 May 2020

Saturday Rave: Oscar Wilde and temptation.

I wouldn't exactly say that The End Times Are Upon Us, but life does seem more uncertain than usual, and this is why lately I've been turning to short forms of writing.

I'm not sure how many thousand-page novels I've got time to read (and that's if I live to be a hundred). 

Anyway, if you want something short and deliciously sharp - an epigram, in other words - then Oscar Wilde will always be a good bet.

I can't decide between:

I can resist everything except temptation

and

genius is born - not paid

so today we have two for the price of one. 

Bargain!

Word To Use Today: temptation. The Latin word temptāre means to test. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.