This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Saturday 28 May 2022

Saturday Rave: When young I never did know, by Xin Quji

 Xin Quji, 1140 - 1207, was a very great poet. He lived all his life, in China, in a time of civil war. 

He started his adult life by failing his exams - twice - and became what might be called a freedom-fighter, and later a military general. He ended up at Court, just in time for appeasement became popular, and in the end, side-lined, he left Court for the countryside. While there he did much for the poor, developed a new form of poetry, and also, worryingly, started raising his own army. 

He was quickly brought back to Court and given a new job, but he was soon found to be raising yet another army, which led to his being sacked and exiled.

This pattern of being (literally) courted and then side-lined was repeated, and in yet another period of favour Xin Quji died. He left us over six hundred poems, all from his later years.

Here's one short one. It's simple, but terrific.


When young I never did know the taste of woe or sorrow,

Up to the top floor, I loved to go;

Up to the top floor, I loved to go,

For to compose new verses, I feigned my sorrow and woe.

Yet now that I've known the taste of woe, sorrow and bitterness,

I hesitate to mention it.

Hesitate to mention it,

What a beautifully chilly autumn! I say, after all.

***

 Word To Use Today: sorrow. The Old English form of this word was sorg.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.