This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Sunday 15 May 2011

Sunday Rest: adenoid.

You don't want to know what adenoids are.

No, really. I mean, I looked them up and I certainly didn't. In fact they sounded so icky that I didn't read the whole article, but I do know they make you sound as if you've got a nasty cold.

I suppose, then, I must concede (grudgingly) that adenoid is a really brilliant word, because saying it makes everyone sound as if they've got a nasty cold. 

But then who wants to sound as if they've got a really nasty cold?

Word Not To Use Today: adenoid. This word comes to us courtesy of the Greek adenoeidēs, which is from the Greek word for gland, adēn.

Errrgh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.