This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Saturday 27 February 2021

Saturday Rave: A Parental Ode to My Son, Aged 3 Years and 5 months by Thomas Hood.

 Thomas Hood (1799 - 1845) was most famous in his time as a comic poet; now he's possibly better known as a serious one.

Still, at the moment there are people being serious all over the place, so here are the first and last verses of one of Hood's more light-hearted works.

It will surely strike a chord with home-schoolers everywhere.


A Parental Ode to My Son, Aged 3 Years and 5 months

Thou happy, happy elf!

(But stop - first let me kiss away that tear -)

Thou tiny image of myself!

(My love, he's poking peas into his ear!)

Thou merry laughing sprite!

With spirits feather-light,

Untouched by sorrow, and unsoiled by sin;

(Good heavens! The child is swallowing a pin!)


Thou pretty opening rose!

(Go to your mother, child, and wipe your nose!)

Balmy and breathing music like the South,

(He really brings my heart into my mouth!)

Fresh as the morn, and brilliant as its star,

(I wish that window had an iron bar!)

Bold as the hawk, yet gentle as the dove;

(I'll tell you what, my love,

I cannot write unless he's sent above!)


Word To Use Today: sprite. This word comes from French, from the Latin spiritus, spirit.

The whole of Hood's poem can be found HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.