This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Thursday 13 January 2022

A superiority complex: a rant.

 The University of Lake Superior has proscribed the use of the expression no worries.

As someone from the university has said in defence of this decision:

"If I'm not worried, I don't want anyone telling me not to worry. If I am upset, I want to discuss being upset."

Now, one small problem with this piece of ...um...well, let's be charitable and refer to it as reasoning...is that the expression no worries is used to describe the state of mind of the speaker. It means I can resolve this problem easily.

It expresses sympathy and takes ownership of your pain. Or something. Whatever.

Anyway, the main problem with this story is that it's really, like, affected my mental health? Not only has it made me afraid that the hinges of the world are perilously close to dropping off, but, hello? Lake Superior University?

How can they just imply that the rest of the world is inferior?

Good grief. If I wasn't self-employed I think I'd have to take a week off to recover.

Word Not To Use Today: superior. This word comes from the Latin superus, placed above, from super, above.

Actually, while I'm here, I really can't see what's so Great about any of those flipping Lakes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.