This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Saturday 21 March 2015

Saturday Rave: Sir Terry Pratchett: April 28 1948 – 12 March 2015

Sometimes I wish Mozart had had another twenty years of life: sometimes, though, I wonder if that's not being a bit greedy.

I feel rather the same way about Sir Terry Pratchett.



He had a sharp mind:


It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done
(that's from Equal Rights)

 an enquiring soul: 


The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it
(from Monstrous Regiment)

and a generous spirit. He was also a good and industrious writer who gave joy to many millions.

Life amused him greatly: 


The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
(from Diggers)

and death, when he saw it coming (inevitably, but from rather a long distance) he looked at it long and hard, and then made it his business to give us the courage and the means to face it in our turn.

Soon I must rave about one of Sir Terry Pratchett's Johnny books, which I enjoyed greatly. His Discworld books I admired very much indeed, but they weren't quite right for me.

Perhaps my favourite quotation from Sir Terry is one I can't track down to a source. I can only think it must have come from some interview. It's the perfect answer to all those people who say (often, to me): I can't see the point in fiction.


Fantasy is an exercise bicycle for the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can.

I'm not sure about saying Rest in Peace to Sir Terry. But perhaps I may say may any further adventures be happy and interesting ones.

Word To Use Today: Pratchett. This surname comes from the Middle English prik or prich, and before that from the Old English pric. The ett bit means little. Pratchett would have started off as a name for someone who made sharp instruments.

It'd be nice if they'd been pens, wouldn't it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.